Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Food is for life.

Over the last few weeks, I have been going through a book with the kids at a few of our orphanage homes. It is a book about food and how our bodies use and process it. It has bright pictures and funny words to describe how the body works and make it more interesting for the children. The first page talks about why we need food. I asked the children "What is food for?" Almost instantly one boy exclaimed "For life!" I was expecting an answer like, "for energy" or "to grow strong." But this boy hit the true point. In Liberia food is life. And I realized that despite all we try to do for them, these kids often do not know where their next meal is coming from. As much as they love it when their ORR aunties and uncles visit, they will drop everything when the food is served and nothing will distract them from it. Food is not a luxury as we often treat it, it is a necessity. Food is for life. I don't think these kids need me to teach them anything about food, they are teaching me.

No comments: