Sunday, December 11, 2011

Three Things

1) I was originally going to entitle this blog entry; "I'm fat, I'm fat... I know it."

I've been back in Liberia for a week now, after 10 amazing, wonderful, relaxing, cold, eat-everything-American-I-can-get-my-hands-on weeks in the states. And ok, yes, I put on a few pounds. This is something that every Liberian feels is their personal responsibility to remind me of. Of course here it is a compliment, they are telling me I look healthy and they are happy to see me again... yada, yada, yada. It is one of those things I know in my head, but every time a --wanting to do well-- Liberian mentions my weight, something inside of me recoils. The American in me can't let go of the stereotype. I want to laugh it off, often I can, but sometimes it really stings. Posting this is my attempt to laugh it off, so I am going to share some of the things my Liberian friends have said to me, in welcoming me home this week--
-You're fat-o!
-You looking fine.
-You really got fat in America.
-I'm enjoying your body.
-You really got body-o!
-You're coming up.
-You're ready to bust.
And my personal favorite--You're really trying to expand! (Apparently I'm not only trying to, I've succeeded. ha!)
 
2) Arriving back in Liberia the first week of December can only mean one thing-- CHRISTMAS!!!

I've already started sorting, organizing and planning this year's Christmas deliveries for the orphanages. Wanna help? Ok-- go to the Orphan Relief and Rescue Christmas page and donate a Christmas bundle (or two) to help bring Christmas love to an orphan in Liberia this season. As of today, we have 185 bundles donated, our goal is at least 250.

If you are looking for other options to give this Christmas, check out my friend (and fellow ORRer) Ashley's on-line Christmas sale. She is selling all kinds of hand made Christmas gift options. Believe me, they are beautiful and worth checking out.

3) And, I can't leave you without some new pictures of my kiddos. Here are a few of my favs from my first week back--
(My parents got me a new camera as an early Christmas present and I am pretty much in love with it!)


Some of my Danny Feeney girls.

Miracle!

Practicing the grand-finale of the new and improved Frances Gaskin Cultural performance.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

this was great. thanks!!