Sunday, November 14, 2010

Sunday morning pity party

It's Sunday morning and I am not going to lie, I woke up crabby this morning. It was a long night of dogs barking, rain pounding on the roof, security guard sleeping again... Why can he sleep if I can't?


And on top of that, today John and Carrie leave. Two of my life lines here. I am SO happy for them to start this next chapter of their lives (getting married in a few weeks) but it is leaving a huge hole in life as I have known it in Liberia. (I was realizing this week that John has been a part of all my favorite memories in Liberia, Carrie a confidant and constant shoulder to cry on.)


So, I am on my porch, one of my favorite places in Liberia, with my Bible, coffee, Searching for God Knows What, and being dive-bombed by a huge drunk wasp thingy for the second morning in a row. Not feeling very Sundaymorningish. While listening to my ipod I come across an old familiar song. I remember singing a different version of it when I was growing up, but the words are the same. They come from Isaiah 52:7.


How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of those who bring good news, who proclaim peace, who bring good tidings, who proclaim salvation, who say to Zion, “Your God reigns!” 


The passage is referring to the messengers who ran from the scene of a battle to bring news of the outcome to a waiting king and people. In this case, it was the good news that their years of living in exile were over. They were saved. This good news hits a little closer to home for me as I have been spending the last few weeks struggling through the words of the 'weeping prophet,' Jeremiah who was warning them all about the coming exile. It reminds me of the ending, no matter what the current circumstances, 'Our God reigns.'


That is beautiful news.


I am still tired. My friends are still leaving. My God still reigns. 

No comments: