Sunday, June 24, 2012

Bong Blog

Bong County is located smack-dab in the middle of Liberia. About a four hour drive from my home outside Monrovia, this was the destination for my latest Liberian mini-adventure. Jessica, Emily (two of my new team members), our driver Joseph and I made the trek to visit places with very Liberian names like, Gbarnga (pronounced Bonga), Balamah, and Kpatawee (the K is silent). 
Our primary goal was to visit an orphanage that is supported by some friends of ours. Balamah Mission houses over 100 children who were practically starving a few years ago. Today they have a sturdy home, loving care-takers and a new outlook on life. We joined the team of 12 from Orphan Aid for a day of VBS with the kids and a Vision Clinic for the entire community. 




I was able to help out at the vision clinic for a few hours. It was amazing how a quick eye exam and new prescription can totally change the prospects of someone’s future. With a new pair of glasses, some were able to see clearly for the first time in their lives. In the few hours I was registering people we saw almost 100 patients, bringing the total people served to almost 600. While I was helping out at the clinic, (somehow the nurse in me pulled me towards the clinic) Jess and Emily were working their Pied Piper skills on the kids.


 

Ever since I arrived in Liberia I’ve heard of some waterfalls in Bong County. I’ve always wanted to see them, but never had the chance to go out there. When I realized that the falls were only about 30 minutes away from the orphanage I decided we had to go check them out!

The road was a skinny path cut out of the jungle, through rice paddies and palm trees. We found the falls, overflowing the banks due to the recent rains, under one of the biggest trees I have ever seen. After a little exploring, we ate our lunch-- ravioli out of the can-- near the bottom of the falls and then headed home.



road to the falls

Kpatawee Falls

Jess, Em and I at the falls