Wednesday, February 29, 2012

lessons from a crippled man

Yesterday started out rough. My computer crashed, I felt like I was carrying the weight of the world on my shoulders. Honestly, I just kinda wanted to be in a bad mood.

As I was leaving the grocery store, an amputee who often meets me there, greeted me at the car. I knew what was coming-- the constant asking for something small, and I wasn't in the mood. So, when he greeted me with a cheery, 'How the day!?' I decided to be honest and forgo the usual answer of 'fine.' Instead I answered, 'I'm actually not having a very good day." He looked at me confused, so I tried again, 'It's not a good day.' The man gripped his crutches tighter, looked me in the eye and said, 'Yes, but you can still thank God for life. You have breath in your body." Then he proceeded to ask me for his small thing. I politely declined, got in my car and drove off more annoyed than I was before the interlude with the crippled man.

The thing was, he was right. As much as it may have been his rote answer, it was true. Frustrating things happen, computers crash, people fail you, your leg is amputated, but in the end those circumstances don't matter. God has blessed me with air in my lungs and another day to know Him better. He has blessed me with life and His love.

And yesterday he used a crippled man to remind me. Humbling indeed.

1 comment:

Loriann Macko said...

Hi Deb! Found your blog via the Brave Girls group...I read a few posts and love it - what an insight into life halfway around the world! I will definitely check in from time to time. Best wishes to you! - Loriann