Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Ash Wednesday

Today is the first day of Lent, Ash Wednesday. Lent is not something that I grew up observing. I knew what it was, kind of. I heard other people talking about it and I remember in sixth grade deciding to give up fish (I hated fish). Needless to say, I didn't really get the significance. It is in recent years that I have been introduced to the tradition in a more serious way. (If you are interested, I found a blog that I feel describes Lent pretty well.)

For me, Lent is about remembering Christ's sacrifice and preparing my heart for a time of remembrance, reflection and eventually the celebration of Easter. Over the next 46 days I want to spend more time thinking about God, who He is, what He has done, His amazing and abundant love for me. But I don't want to just receive it, I want to share that love too. (Isn't that what He is all about?)

I don't think this time is designed to be about me (even though I feel like a lot of these sentences start with 'I'). It is about Christ. It is about taking a break from the norm, whatever that may be, and focusing on Him. He lived. He died. He loved. He loves (and lives) still.

So, as part of a break from the norm, as part of the remembering and sharing the love, I'd like to ask you to join with me in doing something different this season-- consider prayer. Praying everyday for someone else to know, for someone else to feel, God's love.

My friend and co-worker Ashley has put together a great tool for praying for the children that we work with through Orphan Relief and Rescue. Starting today we will be posting pictures of different children on our organization blog everyday until Easter. All you have to do is pray. After 46 days of praying and focusing on others who long to know and feel love as much as we do, I think we'll all be changed for the better. Follow this link and start praying today. 

No comments: