Friday, September 4, 2009

Grandma-

I have really wanted to write something about you. Something that would tell the world how wonderful you are. How sorely you will be missed. I wanted to write a poem as spectacular as you, or a story that flowed eloquently. But the truth is there are not enough words to describe my dear grandma. I could try and come up with a rhythm as beautiful as your laugh or as clever as your sense of humor. I could attempt to construct paragraphs as deep and mysterious as the turns your own life brought you through. I could search for just the right letters to come together and shine as bright as the light that you were to me. But I would come up short.

I loved every minute I ever spent with you. Every cookie shared. Every 'story' explained. Every moment holding your hand. What we had was special. You made me feel special. Your smile invited me in. We could share secrets and giggles like school girls. Yet, you still knew how to lift me up, how to encourage me. I could feel your love and pride every time you would introduce me- "this is MY grand-daughter." What a privilege and honor it has been to be called that.

I remember one time I bought you a coffee at Starbucks. A tall vanilla latte. It was just like you- short and strong and sweet with a punch of spunk.

I knew this day would come but it doesn't hurt any less. I miss you! I am sorry I wasn't with you at the end. I wanted to be. I wanted to hold your hand and tell you 'I love you' one more time. I will never forget that sparkle in your eye or your fragile embrace. A light in my life has gone out. I don't know how I can move on without you, but I know you would want me to. And so I say goodbye- lovely, precious, kindred to my heart...until we shine again.

Elizabeth Dezutter
September 8, 1921 - August 16, 2009

2 comments:

Andrew said...

Her light continues to shine, granddaughter, through her namesake. You're a short, sweet, spunky one, Deborah Elizabeth, and I know she couldn't be more proud of you.

Tabitha Ruth said...

Sweet Deb I am sorry I had not read this till now. I am sorry for your loss. She sounds like such a wonderful lady. Love ya deb,
nora