Thursday, May 14, 2009

Menitama in America

Last night I was at my friend Christal's house, making dinner and catching up on the ups and downs of the last few months. All of a sudden she said, "oh! I borrowed this CD from my sister, I want to play you this song I love, I keep listening to it over and over." She proceeded to play Jordin Sparks "No Air." And I burst out laughing! That song is one of about 5 songs that have made it to Liberia and everyone, everywhere, including our neighborhood night club Menitama, plays them over and over and over. After the song was over and I had dried my eyes, Christal played another song she liked off the CD- Chris Brown's "With You." You guessed it another Liberian favorite. At this point I grabbed the CD to check if it was the Menitama playlist and sure enough found "Dangerous" by Akon, which we of course played as loud as the speakers could handle. There may have been a little dancing in the kitchen and to top it all off Christal made rice to go with our soup for dinner. I was feeling right at home.

No comments: