Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Don't let this throw you.

I leave in 8 days!

Yesterday we found out that one of my dad's coronary arteries is 90% blocked. Hopefully they can fix it with a stent next week (on Oct 2nd, the day I am flying to Africa!) but if not he will need bypass surgery. As my dad was telling me the details on the phone he punctuated his story with "but you are still going." Of course I am still going, but it is a little nerve racking, I did not even like being away in Tacoma while he was having his angiogram in Spokane.

I woke up this morning dwelling over the details of this as well as everything else I have to do before I leave. Yes, I was somewhat overwhelmed and having a little bit of a pity party. I picked up my mini Message Bible and turned to John. I was looking for a verse on peace thinking that is what I needed. I started reading John 14:1 which literally said:

"Don't let this throw you. You trust God, don't you?"
I laughed out loud.

The thing is I do trust God. I trust that me going to Liberia right now is the right thing. I trust that everything will work out with my house while I am gone. I trust that my dad will be ok. But I was letting it all throw me, getting me sidetraked and distracted. No more!

That being said, please continue to pray for me this next week. It is really going to be a challenge. I am now going to be fitting in a trip over to see my parents since my dad's doctor said he can not travel. And please pray for my dad (his name is Al) too. Thanks.

No comments: