Wednesday, August 20, 2014

gather and pray


This is what I am longing for-- To gather these precious ones in my arms again, to reassure them, to protect them. I am reminded of Jesus' words to the people in Jerusalem in Matthew 23, "How often I've ached to embrace your children, the way a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, and you wouldn't let me." I find solace in knowing that our God is bigger than a tiny little virus and the havoc it is playing out on an entire region in Africa. He is bigger than the burning fear that comes with the mere mention of it's name. He is greater than the violent mobs who are their own worst enemy. Our God is greater than the growing empty stomachs and abandoned hospitals. He is mightier than the rain clouds that are pouring out death and despair, stronger than the thunder claps of threats to the nations. 

A few weeks ago, feeling heavily burdened by the situation in West Africa, I fled to the mountains to pray. I drove up as close to Mt Rainier as I could get and sat at the foot of the mountain. I felt like God had led me there. As I sat in awe under the snow capped majestic beauty of of the mountain and was dwarfed by the deep green valleys that surrounded me, I was humbled. Sitting on a rock, I asked God what He wanted to show me in this place. Instantly, a breeze brought a whisper to my heart-- "Remember who I am." He is the Almighty God, Creator of heaven and earth! 

Earlier this week I was able to talk to my Liberian Ma, Mary. Tears came to my eyes when I heard her voice. She was so grateful to hear that people around the world are praying for her and her country. Prayer is a mighty weapon. I mentioned in my last post about the women in Liberia who have been gathering everyday to pray. These women's prayers were effective in bringing the Liberian civil war to an end. They are mighty prayer warriors, but our prayers are just as effective. God hears them all.

I believe prayer, understanding the truth about the situation (for both, those living in the effected zone, as well as for us world wide) and spreading the word of the need are going to be the biggest contributors to putting an end to this crisis. 

------------------------

Links for today:

An article written by my friend, Fin Young, who I met in Liberia, for Newsweek UK.


H1N1 continues to have all the latest updates on the situation.

Doctors Without Borders  is leading the fight against Ebola throughout West Africa. This week they opened the biggest Ebola treatment facility in history, just a short walk from where I call home in Liberia. 

No comments: