Monday, January 4, 2010

Gifty Update - Keep Praying.

Many of you have been asking about Gifty, sorry for the way over due update.


Gifty did receive her new liver and everything went amazingly well with that surgery. Thank you to everyone who has prayed for this over the last year. Heidi was telling me how she did not want to spend another Christmas in the hospital, however if it was because Gifty was getting a new liver, that would be ok.

A few days before Christmas Heidi started noticing that Gifty was acting differently. She was very concerned and kept pushing the nurses and doctors to check things out. Of course they were all focused on her liver and did multiple tests to make sure everything was working alright. Unfortunately the problem was not with her new, perfectly working liver. She had bleeding in her brain, a side effect to the blood thinning medication she was on after surgery. So, less than a week after liver transplant surgery, Gifty was rushed into emergency brain surgery. They were able to stop the bleeding, but some damage had been done. It was really touch and go for a few days.




Gifty is now stable, you might even say "out of the woods." But she has had quite a set back. She is having to relearn the things she has worked so hard to learn over the last year- how to drink, talk, walk, laugh. Thankfully she seems to recognize her loved ones. I know she is resilient and a fighter, she would not have made it this far otherwise. I thank God for all He has brought her through and how she has touched (changed) my life. I am encouraged by her progress this far despite everything that seems to be working against her. I continue to pray for her quick recovery. As I was praying for her today the word "restore" kept coming to mind. God will restore her. He knit her together in her mother's womb and knit her together again with a new liver and will continue to knit until she is whole again.

3 comments:

Momma B said...

God's will be done!

Momma B said...

Deb, I just wanted to tell you that I practically ran in here, from my kitchen, because God told me to see if there is anything that I can crochet and send to you? I don't know what you might need for the kids or otherwise that I might be able to provide, but I feel a strong need to ask! If you click on my name, it will lead you to my blog, where you can leave me a comment on any of my posts, if there is something I can help with. If not, I am fine with that too, but I really feel led to ask!

Thanks,

Jamie

Andysbethy said...

Thank you for the update. Gifty stays on my mind often. I had really slacked off on the praying when I heard that she had finally gotten her new liver. Once again I will make sure I lift her, and her family, before the throne. They need not only healing for her, but the peace and patience that only one source can give.
Please, let us know when you have updates. In the meantime, post other news. I love hearing about everything you do in Liberia.